Shankh, one of the ancient monasteries in Mongolia, was
established on the bank of Harzan River, in Kharkhorin Soum of Uvurhangai province
in 1650. Before it was named Shankh, it was called Baruun
Khuree where Mongolian first enlightened Bogd Zanabazar, the first leader of
Mongolian Buddhism, spent his childhood. During the hard times of socialism,
the monastery was destroyed but rebuilt in 1990. There are currently 3 temples
saving the creations, clothes of Zanabazar, valuable cast of Buddha, other
religion relics and over 30 monks in the monastery.