A stone monument that is an important historical, cultural and astronomical sight in Mongolia. This stone deity was created in the years 1859-1864 by the initiative of B.Togtokhtur, known as “To Van” throughout Mongolia.  In the mid nineteenth century, drought and disaster occurred in the far east of Mongolia, this caused livestock to die off and people to suffer.  In order to stop this, Togtokhtur van had a meeting with the other monks who collectively decided to erect the city of Janraisag. Exports believe that when To Van observed the wealth of Mongolia being sent abroad he constructed this complex to keep the wealth that was generated by Mongolia’s ancestors in their motherland.

The 8 handed Janraisag deity’s role is to protect the people from 8 kinds of sufferings. This Janraisag deity appears to be laying at the foot of the hill, in its prospective hands it holds items representing a lion, an elephant, a snake, fire, water, a chain, a cuff, and the mind.  This statue is 30m long, and lies 1-3 m deep in the rock. The stones that were used to build the monument were pulled to the construction site by 1000 ox drawn carts. The construction required 180 craftsmen to complete it. 

Around the statute there are 12 stupas and 20 smaller statues, these are beautiful works of art. It is one of the largest and tallest statues of the Janraisag deities, in fact only 3 statues depicting this deity exist. The second one is located in the city of Ulaanbaatar. This statue is 26 m tall, it is tilted by copper and covered with gold.  To build this statue stones had melted, to this day it is unknown how this was done. 

Between 1930 and 1940, during Stalin's purge, most of these statue were destroyed, although, Japanese soldiers who attacked the Khalkh river in the east side of Mongolia would not dare to get close to the Janraisag deity. In the 1997, a renaissance of Buddhism in Mongolia recovery Janraisag diety consecrate again.